Main causes of obstructive azoospermia are:
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Retrograde ejaculation (congenital conditions)
- Genetic issues or cystic fibrosis
- Scar tissue
- Hernia surgery
But men with OA disorder needn't worry. They can seek proper advice and help from Xenith Advanced Fertility Center, Pune. When we receive any such case we carry out the simple procedure called TESA and subsequently the IVF-ICSI treatment is given. This helps to recover the sperm and depending upon the cause of OA appropriate treatment is given so that the problem is sorted out permanently.
The other type of azoospermia is defined as Non-obstructive azoospermia (NOA). NOA is normally observed when mature sperm is found absent in the semen because of the non-production of sperm at various stages. Here in this case, though the sperm is found absent in the semen, there could be some areas in the testes which are capable of producing mature sperm. In such a case, sperm may be noticed during the surgery through a microscopic view of testicular sperm. This is called Micro-TESE. This is indeed the latest invention in surgery and its success largely depends on the skill and experience of the surgeon.
What are the causes of Non-obstructive Azoospermia?
Prominent causes of NOA are:
- Maturation blockage or arrest. This is the case where sperm is present but it fails to mature.
- Absence of Leydig cells. This is the case where only Sertoli cells are found and Leydig cells are missing.
- Excessive / unnecessary / wrong medication.
- Chromosomal causes or genetic issues
- Twisting of the testes in the scrotum
- Hormonal problems
At Xenith Advanced Fertility Center we receive quite a few patients who seek help in connection with NOA. Generally, a Micro-TESE is advised, which involves small surgery. In some cases, hormonal therapy is suggested for men in order to explore the availability of viable sperm. And further, treatment is extended to isolate the mature sperm in the testicle which can be used in IVF-ICSI.