Infertility Signs To Look Out For
The statistics pertaining to infertility reveals that one out of six couples are not able to conceive a child, in spite of unprotected intercourse, frequently. That means they are infertile. It is very stressful and frustrating for any couple and particularly in Indian society, it is considered to be a sort of dishonor. Infertility is commonly found in both male and female and a survey indicates that in more than one-third of such couples the problem is detected in the males. But one has to understand the symptoms or initial signs of infertility so that early treatment or counseling can help an individual to overcome the problem.
Male infertility is mainly attributed to low sperm production, abnormality in sperm function or blockages causing problems in motility and delivery of sperm. Other aspects like illness, lifestyle choices, chronic health issues, stress factors, and injuries also play a big role in rendering infertility to the males.
One of the major signs of male infertility is not being able to conceive a child. Although there may not be any other specific sign, in certain cases, however, many noticeable factors such as (i) inherited disorder (ii) hormonal imbalance (iii) dilated veins around the testicle. Nevertheless, in most of the male infertility cases, the symptom not being able to conceive is an obvious indication. But there are some other indicators too, which include:
- Pain, swelling, or a lump in the testicle area
- Recurrent respiratory infections
- Problems with sexual function, e.g. problem in ejaculation or ejaculation in very less quantity, diminished sexual desire, erectile dysfunction, or difficulty in maintaining an erection.
- Inability to smell
- Decreased facial or body hair and chromosomal or hormonal abnormality
- Abnormal breast growth, which is called gynecomastia
- Very low sperm count (less than 15 million sperm per ml. of semen or a total sperm count below 39 million during ejaculation)
- Prior surgeries
- Environmental causes (Due to overexposure to specific environmental elements like heat, toxins, or hazardous chemicals the sperm count is likely to be reduced and it also affects the sperm function.
- Lifestyle-related issues, e.g. drug consumption, excessive smoking, and alcohol consumption.
- Stress, emotional fatigue, Depression, and overweight or obesity.
Symptoms of Women infertility are as below:
- Irregularity in periods: The average menstrual cycle in women is about 28 days long. However, so long as they are consistent, a few days before or after the specific day is considered normal. So a woman may have a cycle of 32 days in one month and in the next month, it could be 35 days cycle. Yet it is considered to be normal. But if there is an abnormal difference between the two cycles it is considered irregular periods. This leads to hormonal problems and a specific syndrome related to ovaries. This is called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and these two can be the one of the main reasons of infertility in women.
- Absence of periods: It is common in many women to have an off-month when the periods are missed. It is largely because of stress or excessive workout. But if the periods have disappeared for a long time it is advisable to get your fertility checked.
- Pains during the periods: Many women experience extremely painful times during their periods. They experience cramps. There could be heaviness in the pelvic area or pain in the lower back, stomach, or in the legs. Troubles like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or loose bowels and paleness are also observed during the periods. However, if the painful periods keep impacting their daily life it may lead to a symptom of endometriosis.
- Painful experience during sex: Some of the women have a painful experience throughout their lives and they convince themselves that it is normal. But it could be because of hormonal issues, endometriosis, or some other primary conditions which could lead to infertility.
- Hormonal fluctuations: This is another factor that contributes to infertility in women. Hormonal fluctuations could cause problems such as :
- Skin-related issues
- Lack of sex drive
- Facial hair growth
- Excessive hair loss
- Abnormal weight gain
Many of these symptoms are ignored by the couples and by the women in particular. In Indian society, many women still avoid discussing these problems even with the closest of their relatives. As such they go unnoticed and sometimes it becomes too late to extend a proper treatment to their health issues. Many men also shy away from taking medical advice well in time, hoping that the problem of infertility could be with their partner. But it is important for them also to seek proper medical advice well in time before it is too late.
These issues can be taken care of in most cases with Infertility treatments in Pune, at Xenith Advanced Fertility Center, by Dr. Mamta Dighe, who is known for her expertise in guiding the couples to a successful pregnancy and happy married life.